News Detail


June 08, 2012

To see more pictures from the check ceremony, please visit our Facebook gallery here


June 8, 2012 (Fullerton, CA) - Cal South presented a donation check in the amount of $24,640 on Wednesday, June 6 at the Cal South Corporate Office to University of Texas midfielder and Cal South ODP alumnus Kylie Doniak and her family to help with the huge medical costs incurred after Doniak was struck by a drunk driver in Austin, Texas in February.

The money was raised at a special event hosted by Cal South on June 2-3 called "Coaches for Kylie." The special college identification event for girls (ages 12-18) was held on the Cal State Fullerton campus, and was run by numerous top college coaches, each of whom graciously donated their time for the clinic.

"The biggest part is that it brought us a lot closer as a family," said Dave Doniak, Kylie's father. "Thank you so much to Cal South, and Steve and Kathy Hoffman. Thank you so much from the bottom of my heart, and my family's."

In attendance at the ceremony were not only the Doniak family - Kylie, Dave, her sister Makenzy and mother Lori - but also some of the coaches instrumental in putting together the event: Demian Brown and Diego Bocanegra (Cal State Fullerton), Ali Khosroshahin (USC), and Ramon Reid and Walid Khoury (Slammers FC). Also in attendance were Cal South's CEO John Weinerth and Director of Player Development and Coaching Education Steve Hoffman.

"Without the camaraderie of the college coaches… for them to come together for Kylie last weekend is one of the most special things I've have seen in my life," said Hoffman. "I'm so proud and pleased to be a colleague of all these coaches. These two young ladies, Makenzy and Kylie, are fantastic players for Cal South. We are just so happy that we can help them."

Doniak was struck by a drunk driver on February 3, 2012 in downtown Austin as she was using a crosswalk. The accident left her with a massive head injury, a broken neck, a broken collarbone, a punctured lung, several broken ribs, facial lacerations, severe road rash, and broken leg bones.

She was taken to intensive care, where the swelling of her brain caused doctors to place her in a medically induced coma. After several operations and a move to a hospital in California, Kylie began to slowly recover and undergo rehab for her brain injury. In mid-April, she finally returned home after over two months in medical care. Walking once again, Kylie still has a long way to go to full recovery.

• To learn more about Kylie's recovery, please visit