Cal South and LA84 Foundation to Host Goalkeeping and Sport Science Specialty Course in June
(April 23, 2013) - Cal South and the LA84 Foundation will host a specialty coaching course based around goalkeeping and sport science on Sunday, June 9 in Irvine, California. Guest speakers will be Phil Wheddon, the current Syracuse Women's Soccer Head Coach, and Ryland Morgans, Liverpool FC's Head of Fitness and Conditioning.
Full details appear below. The cost of the course is $45, but Cal South Coaches Association members can attend at the discounted rate of $25. To learn more about the added benefits of becoming a member of the Cal South Coaches Association, click here.
LA84 GOALKEEPING AND SPORT SCIENCE SPECIALTY COURSE
To register now, click here.
The Incorporation of Sport Science into Elite Soccer Training
(9:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.)
Ryland Morgans will incorporate classroom and field instruction to demonstrate topics which include utilizing sport science and fitness in youth training sessions with the use of efficient and varied methods that yield great fitness levels (Economic Training).
How to Train Your Goalkeeper
(1:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m)
Phil Wheddon will incorporate classroom and field instruction to demonstrate effective goalkeeping training sessions without the aid of a goalkeeper-specific coach. He will exhibit how to maintain the continuous flow of a training session focusing on shop stopping and transition.
Sunday, June 9, 2013 - 9:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
Grimm Hall, 120 DeNault Auditorium
Irvine CA 92612
$45.00 per attendee
What to Bring:
• Notepad and pen/pencil for classroom session
• Water/snacks, sunscreen lotion (optional), portable chair (optional)
• Lunch (optional, as you will be allowed off campus for lunch if preferred).
• Current Syracuse University’s Women’s Soccer Head Coach; recently led the Orange to their first Big East tournament since 2005
• As the U.S. Women’s National Team Goalkeeping Coach, helped lead them to two third-place finishes at the 2003 and 2007 World Cups, as well as two Olympic gold medals in Athens 2004 and Beijing 2008
• Served as the Goalkeeper Coach for the Men’s National Team that won the 2005 CONCACAF Gold Cup and competed in the 2006 World Cup
• His responsibilities with the national team included video analysis, international scouting, fitness training, game-day operations, team preparation and player development and evaluation
• Wheddon’s trainees include Hope Solo, Brianna Scurry, Tim Howard, and Kasey Keller
• Current Head of Fitness and Conditioning at Liverpool F.C
• Former Head of Fitness and Science at Swansea City
• Morgans has doubled as the Head of Fitness and Science with the Wales national side under Gary Speed and Chris Coleman
• He has a UEFA “A” License and a PhD in Football Science
TO REGISTER NOW, CLICK HERE
About the LA84 Foundation:
The LA84 Foundation was established to manage Southern California's share of the surplus from the highly successful 1984 Olympic Games in Los Angeles. The Foundation received $93 million at its inception and, since then, has invested $205 million in sports programs serving more than 2.5 million youth in the eight Southern California counties of Los Angeles, Imperial, Orange, Riverside, San Bernardino, San Diego, Santa Barbara and Ventura. Its
headquarters is located in the historic Britt House near downtown Los Angeles where it houses the world's premier sports library and meeting facilities. The Foundation convenes numerous forums for the exploration of the many of the most pressing issues in sport. For additional information, please visit www.LA84Foundation.org.