E-News

To access issues prior to September 2011, please click here.

Cal South E-News | December 2011 December 2011
Cal South E-News | December 2011 COLLEGE PLANNING December 2011
Top 5 Actions to Avoid in the Recruiting Process: There are many actions you can take that will negatively affect your recruiting. If you avoid these 5 actions, you will be on your way to having a successful recruiting process.
Cal South E-News | December 2011 COACHING EDUCATION December 2011
Team Building - Who Will Benefit from a Team Approach?: Whenever two or more people work together in some activity of common interest or benefit, working together as a team will be rewarding and productive. Follow these twelve important characteristics to strengthen your team's approach to the game...
Cal South E-News | December 2011 NUTRITION EDUCATION December 2011
WINTER NUTRITION - Fueling for Cold Weather Exercise: If you take time off from soccer to enjoy winter sports, you want to pay careful attention to your sports diet. Otherwise, lack of food and fluids can take the fun out of your outdoor activities. These tips can to help you fuel wisely for cold weather workouts...
Cal South E-News | December 2011 REFEREE EDUCATION December 2011
ASK A REFEREE: The USSF's National Referee Program office receives a multitude of inquiries regarding FIFA's Laws of the Game and numerous questions involving some often confusing rules and calls. Here is a quick sampling of recent topics and the resulting responses...
Cal South E-News | December 2011 PARENT EDUCATION December 2011
Why We Play - Getting on the Same Page with Our Kids: Why do your children want to play youth sports? Why do they want to participate? Once you consider those answers and recognize where you and your child agree and differ, you can establish common ground for conversations that will help you and your child get what you want from youth sports.
Cal South E-News | November 2011 November 2011
Cal South E-News | November 2011 COLLEGE PLANNING November 2011
NARROWING DOWN YOUR LIST: If you haven’t done so already, you will soon be in the position to make your final decision on where you will be attending college for the next four years. Many of you are currently speaking with multiple coaches and may even have several offers on the table. The most challenging part of the recruiting process is complete; you have coaches who want you to play for their soccer program and you have schools that you would like to attend. Now the hard part becomes choosing between them.
Cal South E-News | November 2011 COACHING EDUCATION November 2011
HOW TO MAKE DRILLS WORK: There are a few simple guidelines for developing coaching exercises. Books devoted to drills rarely satisfy the particular needs of a coach, and at best can only point the coach in the right direction. Some of the best and most effective drills for your team may be those you create to address the specific needs of your team. I would like to present a few rules to help a coach in this process...
Cal South E-News | November 2011 NUTRITION EDUCATION November 2011
WANT TO BE ON A WINNING TEAM? Team sports are fun. Whether you are a member of a soccer team, running club or pick-up basketball team, the culture of team sports can easily lead to post-game food feasts and a sub-optimal sports diet. Sure, part of team fun is food, but think twice and make sure you celebrate with functional foods that will improve team performance!
Cal South E-News | November 2011 REFEREE EDUCATION November 2011
ASK A REFEREE: The USSF's National Referee Program office receives a multitude of inquiries regarding FIFA's Laws of the Game and numerous questions involving some often confusing rules and calls. Here is a quick sampling of recent topics and the resulting responses...
Cal South E-News | November 2011 PARENT EDUCATION November 2011
CODES OF CONDUCT: Several years ago, Cal South established a Code of Conduct outline for players, coaches, parents and spectators. Similarly, referees are expected to follow a long-standing Code of Ethics established by the U.S. Soccer Federation, their direct governing body. This is a good time to remind ourselves of the appropriate conduct that all Cal South members, no matter their role, should take into consideration whenever they are attending or participating in a soccer match.
Cal South E-News | October 2011  October 2011
Cal South E-News | October 2011 REFEREE EDUCATION October 2011
Cal South E-News | October 2011 NUTRITION EDUCATION October 2011
HOW TO EAT WELL FOR SOCCER: I'm in high school and am just beginning a soccer program. I have decent nutritional habits, but what I want to know is now that I'm exercising more, should I change my eating habits? And if I do, what types of foods should I emphasize and what should I eat less of?
Cal South E-News | October 2011 COLLEGE PLANNING October 2011
HOW DO YOU FIND A SCHOOL THAT'S RIGHT FOR YOU? Many factors and people will influence your college decision, but you need to remember that the choice is yours. Don’t let distractions impact your decision and always keep your needs and wants in mind. You are the person who will be attending the school and playing soccer there for four years, so you need to be the person who is deciding what type of school is going to be a good fit...
Cal South E-News | October 2011 COACHING EDUCATION October 2011
TRAPPING V. RECEIVING: While some may consider the difference between trapping a ball and receiving a ball to be an exercise in semantics, I see them as two different terms. When I hear people say they want to learn how to trap the ball, I believe what they really are asking for is how to stop the ball from moving, right at the feet. There are a number of ways to teach this, depending upon how the ball arrives at the player...
Cal South E-News | October 2011 PARENT EDUCATION October 2011
CODES OF CONDUCT: Several years ago, Cal South established a Code of Conduct outline for players, coaches, parents and spectators. Similarly, referees are expected to follow a long-standing Code of Ethics established by the U.S. Soccer Federation, their direct governing body. This is a good time to remind ourselves of the appropriate conduct that all Cal South members, no matter their role, should take into consideration whenever they are attending or participating in a soccer match.
Cal South E-News | September 2011 September 2011
Cal South E-News | September 2011 PARENT EDUCATION September 2011
How to Increase Your Concussion Awareness: With the fall 2011-2012 season at hand, parents, players and coaches should be aware of the extreme importance of having proper information at hand regarding concussion injuries and how to identify and deal with them...
Cal South E-News | September 2011 COLLEGE PLANNING September 2011
How Coaches Find Recruits: Recruiting is changing rapidly, and the most successful student-athletes are the ones who start early and remain persistent throughout the entire process. There are several ways to be seen by college coaches: attending tournaments, going to camps and by sending your video and information via email.
Cal South E-News | September 2011 NUTRITION EDUCATION September 2011
What Is Organic?: It’s the buzz word in food and drink, but what does it really mean to be organic? Organic refers to the way agricultural products are grown and processed. It includes a system of production, processing, distribution and sales that assures consumers that the products maintain the organic integrity that begins on the farm.
Cal South E-News | September 2011 COACHING EDUCATION September 2011
Defensive Defending: Elite Soccer magazine publishes coaching sessions written by professional managers in the English leagues - including the likes of Sir Alex Ferguson, Harry Redknapp and David Moyes. This session, written by Bolton Wanderers manager Owen Coyle, can help you develop a rock-solid defensive strategy...
Cal South E-News | September 2011 REFEREE EDUCATION September 2011
The USSF's National Referee Program office receives a multitude of inquiries regarding FIFA's Laws of the Game and numerous questions involving some often confusing rules and calls. Here is a quick sampling of recent topics and the resulting responses