To return to the menu for the California Regional League, click here.
|Click hereto download a PDF version of this FAQ.|
What is the California Regional League?
• The California Regional League is a division of the US Youth Soccer Far West Regional League which consists of the fourteen (14) western state associations.
What are the benefits of playing in the California Regional League?
• Top competition in the state. You will be playing the best clubs and teams within each age group in the state of California.
Who can participate in the California Regional League?
• The California Regional League is open to the top club teams throughout Southern and Northern California that have earned their invitation through performance on the field.
How is the California Regional League structured?
• The California Regional League has U12-18 age groups for boys and girls. The U12-U14 age groups will each have 12 team brackets. The U15-U18 age groups will each have 8 team brackets.
How does a club or team earn an invitation?
• All teams qualify at their respective State Association level.
Cal South U12-U14 teams qualify as follows:
• The eight quarterfinalists in Cal South National Cup earn eligibility. For U12, this is the U11 bracket in the Sports Authority State Cup Presidents Division.
Cal South U15-U18 teams qualify as follows:
• The four semi-finalists in Cal South National Cup earn eligibility.
What is the selection process for at large play-in teams?
• Selection will be determined by, but not limited to, Cal South National Cup play record, League play record and established criteria which relates to their accomplishments on the field of play. Applications for at-large submissions will be opened based on the timeline listed below.
Are there specific annual requirements the clubs and teams must meet in order to participate in the California Regional League on an annual basis?
• Yes. Each club and team must adhere to the standards of participation as outlined by their respective State Association. For the Cal South clubs and teams, the following requirements must be met.
- They are a member in good standing.
When does the California Regional League start?
• The season kicks off with an opening showcase in August 2013 in Southern California. The showcase will feature games between Cal South and Cal North teams,as well as the play-in for Cal South teams looking to secure final league spots.
How many games will be played and what will be the cost?
• California Regional League teams will play a maximum of 18 games in league and showcase competition between August 2013 and May 2014.
Can Cal South and Cal North teams opt to participate in other Far West Regional League divisions outside of the California Regional League?
• No. Cal South and Cal North teams play in the California Regional League.
At any point do you play against the other divisions of the Far West Regional League?
• There will be one to two optional showcase events which will feature the other divisions of the US Youth Soccer Far West Regional League divisions: the Four Corners and Northern Divisions.
• May 24: Official invitations sent out to automatically qualified teams.
What is the philosophy of the California Regional League?
• The philosophy of the California Regional League is simple – performance matters. This is a competitive forum for the top clubs and teams in the state of California. Performance matters both in terms of being eligible to participate and from a developmental perspective. We believe that a select number of high-level games over a period of time in a quality environment fuels player development. It is also our belief that the existing regional and national programs have become far too expensive for the clubs, teams and families, and the level of competition is inconsistent. We believe the top competition and opportunities for exposure exist right here in the state of California. Welcome to the California Regional League.