Mark Flahan has been the Cal South District 1 Commissioner and a Cal South Board Member since 2009. He has been involved in Cal South recreational and competitive soccer at many levels since 1989.
• Board Member of the Mesa Soccer Association 1989-2006, serving as President from 1991-2004 and Vice-President from 2005-2006.
• Tournament Director for the regional Mesa All-Star Tournament from 1998-2006.
• USSF referee since 1997 and is currently a Grade 6 State Referee.
• Cal South coach 1989-2006.
• Board Liaison to the Cal South State Referee Committee.
• Chair of the City of San Diego Standley Park Recreation Council from 1990-2006.
• Board Member of the Hickman Youth Athletic Association (HYAA), serving as a Director from 1985-2006 and as President since 2010.
Outside of soccer, Mark is involved in the recreational and scientific diving communities.
• Elected to the International Board of the National Association of Underwater Instructors (NAUI Worldwide) serving from 1982-1986, 1994-1997, 2001-2008, 2009-current.
• NAUI Worldwide Chairman from 2001-2008 and Vice-Chair, Secretary and Treasurer and various times through out his tenure on the Board. He is currently Treasurer of the Association.
• Active NAUI Course Director, conducting Instructor and Leadership Training Courses at all levels.
• Inaugural Inductee into the NAUI Hall of Honor in November 2000.
• NAUI Service Awards in 1975, 1978, 1982, 1992 and 1998.
• Inducted into the diving industry's prestigious PRO 5000 in 1994.
• Founding member and Past President of the American Academy of Underwater Sciences.
• Founding member of the Scientific Boating Safety Association, where he served on the Board as Vice-President for several years.
• Served on a number of industry boards and committees, including the American Heart Association, American Red Cross, American National Standards Institute (ANSI), International Conference on Underwater Education, California Advisory Committee on Scientific and Technical Diving, and San Diego Diving Instructors Association.
• Member of the San Diego County Diving Accident Investigation Committee.
Mark recently retired from teaching at San Diego State University after 39 years as the University's Diving and Boating Safety Officer/Adjunct Faculty. He has a Master's Degree in Marine Biology and is currently working on a M.S. in Homeland Security at SDSU.
Married to Sandy for 28 years. One son, Mark A. Flahan, active USSF Cal South State Referee and former Cal South player.