Derek Barraza | Cal South Board President
Derek Barraza is an Information Technology professional with 30 years of experience in IT sales and delivery. Derek has performed various IT roles including Business Development, Account Executive, Customer Relationship Manager, Project Manager, Business Systems Analyst, Quality Assurance Manager, and Software Developer.
Derek has served as a committee member and member of the Cal South Board of Directors since 1998. Derek's soccer background includes coaching and managing youth teams, directing local and international youth soccer tournaments, and serving various roles on local youth soccer boards.
Derek and Cindy, his wife of 34 years, have three sons, Derek, Ray, and Victor and one grandson.
• Cal South (California State Soccer Association - South), President. February 2014 - present.
• Cal South, Executive Vice President. February 2011 - February 2014.
• Cal South, District Commissioner, Los Angeles County. February 2004 - February 2011.
• Cal South, Tournament Committee member February 1998 - February 2011.
• California Sun & Surf International, Inc., Executive Director. Non-profit youth sports organization serving the greater Long Beach area. Helped local non-profit organizations raise over $200,000 from 1996-2004.
• Project Management Institute (PMI) - Orange County Chapter, Vice President, Operations 2009-2010. Responsible for producing programs and events for the chapter. Served as the Programs Director, Speaker Chair from 2007-2010.
• International Institute of Business Analysis (IIBA) - Orange County Chapter, Vice President Marketing & Communications. Served the chapter leading an organization of volunteers responsible for monthly meetings and special events. Additional responsibilities included relationship development with the local business community and acquiring chapter sponsorships. Founding chapter member serving from 2006-2007.
• Long Beach United Soccer Club, Vice President 1996-1999. Helped grow the club from 6 to 27 teams. Helped develop the transition from a collection of independent teams to a focused organization with a professional director of coaching.
• Long Beach Youth Soccer Organization, President 1992-1993, Tournament Director 1990-1992. Recreational youth soccer organization with 1, 700 members. Directed annual Mayor's Cup Tournament for three (3) years helping to raise funds to support the league.
• Head Coach, Team Manager, Referee, and various roles on several recreational and competitive soccer teams from 1987-2004.
Professional Certifications and Affiliations
• Certification, Project Management Professional (PMP)